Bus Safety Rules
Statistically, children riding in a bus are much safer than those who go to and from school in privately owned vehicles. Regulated bus construction results in the safest means for students going to and from school. The safety of all children riding on a school bus can only be accomplished by following safety procedures and rules.
In Colorado, school bus transportation is a privilege. There is no requirement for a school district to provide bus transportation to regular education students. Consequently, if a student repeatedly or seriously disregards the safety guidelines outlined below they may lose the privilege. By following these common sense rules all students will be able to ride to and from school in a safe and secure manner:
- Students must arrive at their assigned bus stops five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive. The bus cannot wait for those who are tardy.
- Students must respect and not trespass on the property adjoining the bus stop.
- Students should wait for the bus in a safe place well off the roadway.
- Parents should only drop-off or pick-up their students in assigned locations or on the same side of the road as the bus.
- Students will be let off the bus only at the school or designated stops.
- Students must go to their assigned seats without crowding or pushing.
- Passengers must remain seated, in assigned seats, while the bus is in motion.
- Passengers will not extend arms, legs, hands or any object out of the bus windows.
- Passengers will not vandalize the bus or equipment.
- Students will act respectful toward the driver and be courteous to other riders.
- Violence (fighting, scuffling, throwing objects, etc.) will not be tolerated under any circumstance.
- Students may not open the bus windows or emergency doors except by the direction of the bus driver.
- Students will keep books, lunch boxes, band instruments and other items out of the aisles.
- Eating shall be at the discretion of the bus driver; for safety and health reasons the bus must be kept clean.
- Students are allowed to talk, in a conversational tone, to their fellow riders. Yelling is not permitted.
If you have a question about the bus safety rules, or about school buses, please call (719) 549-7216.